Saggy neck surgery, often called a “neck lift”, is becoming one of the most popular surgical cosmetic procedures in the country. A neck lift may consist of one or more procedures designed to tighten the neck and improve its overall appearance. Patients who have undergone this surgery claim it is one of the most gratifying experiences of their lives, as well.
What Does a Neck Lift Entail?
For many people, and especially women, neck wrinkling and sagging is one of the first significant signs of aging. Cosmetic surgery can provide you with a better, more youthful appearance, which is incredibly satisfying. Your surgeon may perform one or more procedures during your neck lift surgery depending on your unique wants and needs. These include, but are not limited to:
- Liposuction to remove extra fat from neck folds;
- Removing or altering neck muscles;
- Removing excess skin, often referred to as “turkey neck”; and
- Tightening or “lifting” skin in the neck area.
Aside from surgical options, your surgeon may also recommend other procedures. Some of these may be performed prior to surgery, and others may be recommended after you have healed. These include Botox injections that can remove fullness or neck bands and Kybella injections that will dissolve excess fat under the chin.
Who Is a Good Candidate for a Neck Lift?
Most patients who consult with plastic surgeons for neck lifts have one (or more) of three primary concerns.
- Turkey “wattle” – This term is used to describe a condition in which neck skin begins to sag and hang, much like a turkey’s wattle. To resolve it, your surgeon may need to remove or alter muscles in your neck.
- Excess skin – If you have excess neck skin, this is typically resolved with a traditional lift that involves trimming the skin and lifting it into place to provide a firmer, more youthful appearance.
- Excess fat – A combination of liposuction, Kybella injections, and neck lift procedures can help resolve this issue. Again, your surgeon will make recommendations based on the nature and severity of your issue.
Candidates must also be in good health, so be sure to discuss any medications you are taking or preexisting medical conditions with your surgeon during your consultation for your safety.
Neck Lift Recovery
Recovery after a neck lift varies from person to person, because not everyone has the same types of procedures. Most people who have saggy neck surgery can return to work within 10 to 14 days, though individuals who participate in sports or intense exercise may need to wait anywhere from three to six weeks to go back to their normal lifestyles. Your surgeon will help you manage pain and swelling with medications and various techniques, which may include the application of cold or heat. Final results should be visible in just a few weeks’ time.
A saggy neck can make you feel self-conscious because it makes you appear older than you truly are. That’s why surgery for any of the neck issues listed above can be so very gratifying. You can look years younger and feel better about yourself with a simple and commonplace cosmetic procedure.